Wednesday, December 17, 2014

seize semaines.

     After a restless night of insomnia, joy, I awoke after my two hours sleep at on Wednesday at 4:45 to catch the train to meet Grammy and bring her back to my place. I was able to find her with no problems, so we stacked and gathered her belongings and made our way to the train. Forty minutes later, we were in the city (Bienvenue Grammy!) and made our way from the station through the park to my place. A bit of an epic trek with all of Grammy's belongings, but we made it with no major problems, success! Ma and dad successfully non revved and arrived at my place about 30 minutes after us, just enough time to get Grammy a little settled and for me to make her some eggs and coffee for breakfast.
     Once the parentals arrived, we all settled into our cozy living for the next week. One 260 square foot studio and four people over one week, we'd make for an impressive reality show or social experiment (we were completely fine, just had to get creative with maneuvering around the place an all of our stuff.) I gave them the lay of the land, showed them some of my Christmas décor for the season, and in order to fight the jet lag they decided to hit the ground running and see a bit of my neighborhood by picking up a Christmas tree for me from a florist just up the street. After successfully finding Charles (spoken with a French accent of course) and taking an only slightly embarrassing and obligatory photo on the street to commemorate my first independent Christmas tree for the parentals, we trekked back to my place to set him up and decorate with the few ornaments, ribbons, and lights that I'd purchased in preparation.
     Hungry from their journey, ma and I trekked up the street to the boulangerie and market to pick up a baguette and some other essentials for the week that I hadn't been able to pick up yet while Grammy and dad got to work on the tree. When we got back, we all enjoyed some cheese and baguette before the weary travelers crashed for a little nap. While they were sleeping, I hopped on the metro to meet up with Nora for an hour to catch up since she had just arrived back in the city. When the family messaged that they were up, we headed back to my place where she quickly met everyone and was able to grab some of her things that I'd been storing for her.

One course from our "humble" café dinner
    By then, the fam was ready to grab some dinner, so I looked up a good restaurant nearby that was recommended by school and we began our walk there. Unfortunately, despite what they said online, they were closed at this point, so, in order to avoid another long walk for Grammy who was already being such a trooper for the day wandering, we found a small café just around the corner. The beauty of Paris, even the tiniest café with a little pre-fixe menu provides a world class meal. The family was sufficiently impressed and surprised by the beautifully presented dishes from this quaint little kitchen, and so in the end it worked out perfectly. They were already seeing one of the many reasons that I love this city.
     After the meal we grabbed a cab back to my place where everyone crashed for the evening having traveled a long way and finally giving into the jet lag. On Thursday, everyone woke refreshed and ready to go. Ma wandered to the bakery down the street and picked up some croissants for everyone to have with their coffee while I made Grammy some eggs. Once we were all fed and ready, we ordered an Uber and headed to Boulevard Haussman so that the parentals could return to and Grammy could see Galerie Lafayette. To re-enact my first few days in the city, we headed up to the third floor to have some champs (dad treated and got the Veuve!) and Pierre Herme macarons to really celebrate and cheers the arrival to Paris. After enjoying our treats and bubbles, we headed up a couple floors to check out Top Shop and some of the other more affordable sections where the family treated me to a felt hat I'd had my eye on for ages, so spoiled, and then found the escalators to the roof so that Grammy could see the view. We took the obligatory selfies, enjoyed the view a bit, and headed back down so that we could catch the metro to Concorde so that they could see and wander the Christmas markets a bit.
     Once we arrived at the Place de Concorde, we started at the food annex towards the end of the markets to grab some soup and sandwiches for lunch before braving the crowds. Once we were warmed and full again, we found some coffee and vin chaud to keep us warm and we wandered and checked out all of the stalls and merriment. At the end of the stalls, trooper that she is Grammy joined to trek up the Champs Elysees a bit to enjoy all of the lit up trees and shops. I had told my parents about the slide that I had found with my friends a couple of weeks prior, and as we passed they couldn't resist either. Ma laughed the whole five stories down, and even dad was beaming ear to ear after his turn. Who can resist, it's just too awesome! After the slide and a bit more walking, we caught the metro and stopped in Saint Germain des Pres on the way home so that I could show them another of my favorite neighborhoods. Since it was dinner time, I decided that we should head to the infamous Les Deux Magots for some salads, coffee, and potentially try some of the amazing chocolat chaud. Once everyone warmed and enjoyed their meal, we walked around the charming streets a bit window shopping at all of the beautiful displays before calling it a night and heading home. I made everyone some shortbread cookies to enjoy and then we hit the hay ready for the next morning.
     Ma and Dad wanted to check out some of my favorite neighborhoods and Velib a bit, so the three of us woke up early, got ready, and let Grammy have a quiet morning in after a couple of days of lots of walking. We biked over to the Marais where I was able to impress with my navigational streets and I could show them some of my favorite streets to wander. After parking the bikes, we first went to find a café to stop for a little petit dejuner. Dad once again remembered why he loved Paris and French cuisine while he enjoyed his coffee, French bread, eggs, and ham. After a chill hour of eating and people watching on the street, we wandered into the heart of the Marais for some window shopping. We wandered into one of the lovely boutiques with some window displays too beautiful to resist, and spent the next hour with an amazing attendant who instantly grabbed a beautiful forest green sweater just my style. Ma and I proceeded to play dress up with her suggestions, and with her guidance and dad's input, I was treated to the beautiful sweater for my birthday present and Ma found a fabulous skirt and top to rock for Christmas Eve at home.

Montorgueil all lit up.
    By then, it was about 1:30, so we hopped on the metro to meet up with Grammy and head to the cook shops and Rue Montorgueil. A stop at E. Dellerhin had been on the list of to do's in Paris even before everyone arrived, and they were not disappointed by the epic and old school shop. I was able to pick up some of the essentials needed in order to bake some treats for all of them, and Ma and Dad and Grammy were just impressed so see the scale and quantity of the place. We headed to one more shop where we were able to find a new cheesecake spring pan for Ma, and then I got to show them Montorgueil. All of them were instantly charmed as I had been, taking in all of the cafe's, cheese shops, and beautiful chocolate and pastry shops. After some wandering, we stopped at a café for a little coffee as a pick me up, and then made our way back down the street to the metro.
     Dad and I got off one stop early to stop at the market for some wine and salad fixing while Ma and Grammy stopped to pick up a baguette at the bakery and some potatoes and a rotisserie chicken from the boucherie (all en route from the metro to my place, once again, yay Paris!). We timed our meet up just perfectly and all arrived at my place at the same time, just in time to avoid the epic downpour of ran that had started outside. After enjoying our delicious and low maintenance meal, we cleaned and I began prep on a Moka cake for everyone. I finished just in time for everyone to try a little before we called it a night and hit the hay.
     We all slept in a bit on Saturday and took our time getting ready for the day having a quiet breakfast in. Around 12:30, we called for an Uber and made our way up to Sacre Couer. Our driver was extremely friendly and helpful, and dropped us up all the way at the top of Montmartre so we had just a short stroll to the church. Nora met up with us to enjoy the afternoon, and after wandering and appreciating the church, we headed for the artists square so that Grammy could see some of their work and dad could take in some of the charms of the neighborhood.

Affogado trey at Berthillon
Me and Norpa being silly (and creepy) at the concept store.
    After appreciating the arts, we were ready for some lunch, so we headed to downhill to the backside of Montmartre to a café that Nora had read about. When we arrived, it smelled fantastic and looked amazing and promising...but it was too packed to fit the five of us. Nora and I noted that we'd have to come back at some point, and we crossed the street to a different café to get some lunch. After enjoying our meal, Nora suggested that we head to Berthillon for some affogados and chocolat chaud so that the family could try some of the best ice cream in the city. We hopped on the metro and made our way to the Il Saint Louis where we finally settled into a cozy table in the corner. Everyone enjoyed their treats (ice cream for Grammy, chocolat chaud over ice cream for me and Nora, coffee over ice cream for Dad, and chocolat chaud for Ma,) and once again the family got to appreciate a little more of my Paris. We walked over to the corner which has a great little concept store where we wandered and dad got some fun souvenirs before heading back to the metro to my place. The parentals were heading to the hotel that they'd visited for Ma's birthday a few years back for the evening, so once they headed out, Nora Grammy and I settled in for a quiet night. Grammy fell asleep early (we'd been making the woman cover some serious ground) so Nora and I enjoyed some leftovers and I purchased the tickets and made reservations for our next couple of days. Nora and I then watched a movie and fell asleep watching New Girl.

Hall of Mirrors
     Sunday morning Grammy and I said bye to Nora and got ready for the day. I contacted the parentals with plans to meet up at the train station since we would be heading to Versailles for the day. Grammy and I made our way to Montparnasse and reunited with Ma and Dad and we boarded our train out of the city. Twenty minutes later we were trekking through the small town en route to the castle. When we finally made it, we were able to get a chair for Grammy and then took in the grandeur of the castle. It's positively stunning and over the top and completely worth the visit. The Hall of Mirrors is not only impressive and wonderful to behold, but it's also worth it for the history alone. The Peace room at the end of the hall was where they signed the treaty to end World War I, another reason to love where I live, so much history surrounds you on your daily life.

"Highway robbery" tram through the grounds
     After enjoying our tour of the main castle, we went to the café to enjoy some lunch before we took in the grounds a bit. We were going to make our best attempt to see some of Marie Antionette's apartments across the massive grounds, but we were running short on time so instead settled for the insanely expansive tram ride through the gardens (it cost half of the entire entrance ticket, highway robbery as dad said, but in a pinch,). I was floored by the expanse of the gardens, they're flawlessly manicured even in the winters and there's miles of trails to enjoy. I took a mental note and decided that in the spring when the weather turns I could spend many free, (as a student under 25 my ticket is always gratuit :)) sunny afternoons wandering the grounds reading, running, or whatever else I wanted to do.
     After our tour of the grounds, we made our way back to the train station and caught the RER back to Paris. We grabbed a baguette on our way back to the apartment, had another quiet dinner of leftovers and such, and then I set to work on making puff pastry so that we could have Chausson aux Pommes (apple turnovers) in the morning for our "Christmas".
     In the morning, we woke up and I finished the pastries, made mimosas, and opened my presents from the fam. After being spoiled by my lovely family who had already given the biggest present just by coming to Paris to see me, Ma, Dad, and I got ready for the day and headed over to Canal Saint Martin so that Grammy could stay home and start getting ready, packed, and organized for the evening. I showed them around the Canal, we window shopped, stopped at Craft for some cappuccinos, and looked around the charming Antoine et Lili shops. Since Ma and I had had our own little shopping spree earlier in the week, we found a men's clothing store so that Padre could have his turn. The trip was a success and I managed to find Dad a scarf to his liking for Christmas and we helped him pick out a new shirt and sweater for his Christmas Eve attire.

Foggy Eiffel before heading up
     We made our way back to the apartment just in time to pick up Grammy and head to the metro so that the fam could check out Le Cordon Bleu. I pointed out the student bar along the way where a few friends were celebrating completing Intermediate, so they were able to meet the family and I was able to say some goodbyes before the holiday. When we got to the school, since exams were happening going into the kitchens wouldn't be a option, but we did get to see the Winter Gardens and main floor, just seeing where I spend my days was worth the trip for them.
      Grammy had announced at the beginning of the trip that she was going to spoil and treat all of us to dinner at the Eiffel one night, so after checking out the school we hopped back on the metro and got to the tower just in time to make our reservation. We enjoyed a fantastic three course meal with amazing wine, views, and of course company, and it was incredible to be able to go up the tower for the first time and have that experience with the family; truly once in a lifetime. After dinner, we took a lap around the deck to take in the city, and I climbed the steps to the next mezzanine to enjoy the view of my city a little more. I was a very blessed girl indeed!

Just one amazing course from our epic Eiffel meal.
     Once we all met up again, we caught the elevator to the ground again and met up with our waiting Uber to take us home. We spent one more evening in together mostly with everyone preparing for the next day getting packed as they all had early flights to catch. We woke up early on Tuesday where we said our goodbyes and ordered Ubers, and I once again thanked my family for a wonderful week. After only a little stress and confusion, they made it to the airport and safely home.
    I relaxed for the morning and into the afternoon and started to work on a 1000 piece puzzle that the family had given me for Christmas. After a couple of very active weeks it was nice to have a quiet afternoon in. Later in the evening Nora stopped by and we hung at my pace making dinner, watching New Girl and catching up. We made plans to meet for lunch the next day and said goodbye for the evening.
     I woke up today at 1:40pm amazed that I had just slept 14 hours straight, apparently I was in serious need of some catch up sleep. Since I slept through lunch, Nora and I are instead going to meet up at a bookstore that exclusively sells food related books to purchase some Christmas gifts. It's been a whirlwind couple of weeks and now that I'm rested up a bit I'm excited to really get into the holiday spirit, but I feel lucky to have had this time in Paris with my family. What an absolute gift!









No comments:

Post a Comment